Saturday, October 21, 2006

Dylan Martorell makes nice drawings


It seems you always discover the best things if you're willing to walk up or down a set of stairs.


That's what I did when I first happened across the work of Melbourne artist, Dylan Martorell, at a shop on (I think) Brunswick Street when I was visiting the city for the first time in 2002. I seem to remember he was on the phone trying to scare up something really hysterical like a chainsaw and a bear wearing a kilt. That's not it but it's the spirit of the moment so you'll have to settle for that version of the past. I took home a flyer that had a nice drawing of a crocodile on it and pinned it to the wall.

He makes dreamy, intricate little worlds and some of the meanest (in a senstive kind of way) band posters this side of Seriographe Populaire



He also seems to be doing really well...I came across his work again today on Tokion and see that his zines are being published by Nieves

Visit Hidden Archive, his website here: http://www.hiddenarchive.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

His work gives me the impression of psychedelic needle lace. Beautiful detail.

See you soon.